I Lost My Job: What Do I Do if I Am Unable to Pay Child Support?

There is one thing certain in life- change. The good, the bad, and the ugly. The Puhl Law Group, P.C., has had many a stressed client come through the door and share, "I lost my job. What do I do if am unable to pay child support?" There are many circumstances, that could change an earner's income and render them unable to pay their full child-support, both temporarily or permanently. On the flip side, many upset clients have come in exasperated and said, "My ex said he can't pay child support, can he do that?!!!!" We work with, and successfully help clients on both sides of the coin.Lots of circumstances could change an earner's income. One could lose their job, get a pay cut or even become disabled, permanently or for a short while. If any of these situations happen to you, and you are no longer able to pay the same child support, the most important thing to do is hire a family lawyer who will notify the court immediately. Many non-custodial parents believe that if they get behind on child support payments and they have a legitimate reason why, they can simply reduce their child support payments later when they get around to giving the court an explanation. Not true. The non-custodial parent is the parent who does not have primary custody of the child. For the record, in Texas most noncustodial parents are fathers. Non-custodial parents need to know that their monthly child support obligation will only change if they obtain a new support order. So what do you do if you are unable to pay child support? You must file a petition to modify child support. The court will not unilaterally reduce or reimburse past-due child support payments. If you delay your request to the court to modify your support order you will still be required to make up any past due support. It is essential that you hire an experienced family law lawyer when material changes affect your ability to pay your child's support as ordered. Only a judge has the power to lower an existing child support order. The judge will need to see why you are unable to pay child support. You must show evidence of substantial change in circumstance that affects your ability to pay child support. This evidence may  include, recent pay stubs or self-employed income evidence, proof that family obligations have changed (the birth of another child) or medical records proving you have recently become disabled. Child support modification is a broad and complicated subject best handled by an experienced family law specialist. Our board-certified family law lawyers at Puhl Law, P.C can help you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Meet With Michael Puhl

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Info

"We’ve moved! Please come visit
us at our new Address"

Puhl Law Group, PC
205 W. Louisiana Street
Suite 201
McKinney, TX 75069

Phone: 972-569-3166
Map & Directions

Lousiana Louisiana2
Review Us
Rated By Super Lawyers | Michael R. Puhl | SuperLawyers.com Avvo Rating 10.0 Michael R. Puhl Top Attorney Texas Board of Legal Specialization Board Certified | Texas Board of Legal Specialization