Resolving Differences By Putting You And Your Family First

What if my spouse has been violent with me?

Regardless of whether you have filed for divorce, a court can issue a protective order restricting your spouse from committing family violence, communicating with family members, visiting a residence or place of work, and owning a firearm. The court can impose fines, imprisonment and even criminal penalties on a party for violating a protective order. A court can also issue a restraining order which can order a person to refrain from certain behavior including hiding property and making harassing telephone calls. That is a factor the court can consider in making the property division, and in making orders in the best interest of your children.

In addition, the court can grant you a protective order, keeping your spouse away from your place of residence, your place of employment, the children’s schools, and so on. A protective order will prevent your spouse from lawfully having possession of weapons. The court will do what it can to keep you and your children safe from a violent spouse.